Old September 15th 05, 02:39 AM
firstfleet firstfleet is offline
Junior Member

Location: Olympia, WA

[quote=Jim Thomas]
When I was a
student in the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), we mostly got
our hours flying in the back of the local C-130 or C-133.

Did you mean Convair C-131? I crewed for two years as a Douglas C-133 navigator, and I don't think anyone but assigned or attached crew members got time in the C-133. It was used for heavy logistic airlift only. Besides, sitting in the rear of a C-133 would have been excruciatingly uncomfortable. The noise and vibration were INTENSE.

For more info on the C-133, check my web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/c133bcargomaster/home.html.

My definitive C-133 history, Remembering an Unsung Giant: The Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and Its People, will be out in April 2006.

Cal Taylor
The C-133 Project