Old November 3rd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dennis Johnson

Default Charging system failure cuts short a long X-Country

"Ron Lee" wrote

The engine started normally
and to my surprise the alternator worked. It worked all the way home
with four restarts.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the report of your electrical problem. I always learn valuable
insights from reports like this. Thanks for sharing. By the way, beautiful
RV6!

I'm not arguing, just curious; why replace the alternator if it performed
normally on the way home? I'm no expert, but I wonder if the problem is in
the control circuitry or the old, partially discharged battery. How old was
the battery?

The real expert on stuff like this is Bob Nuckolls at
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator/?AeroElectric-List

Glad it worked out,
Dennis