Old April 22nd 04, 01:38 AM
Thomas Schoene

Harry Andreas wrote:
In article . net,
"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
JP-5 $1.03/gallon
DFM $0.98/gallon (DFM is Diesel fuel, Marine, another term
for F-76)

In the tutorial URL I posted, they made a definite distinction between
F-76 and DFM.

No, they made a distinction between F-76 and *commercial* marine distillate
fuel. Commercial fuel can be all over the map quality-wise.

The term "DFM" is used throughout the Navy as a synonym for F-76 (the NATO
supply code for the same fuel). Technically, it seems that DFM might not be
specific enough, as F-76 implies conformance to a specific MIL-SPEC while
DFM does not. But the two terms seem to be interchangable in everyday use.

For example:

www.msc.navy.mil/instructions/doc/35007b.doc
"Ships requiring DFM (NATO Symbol F-76) may be accomplished via barge or
ship."

http://www.nor.fisc.navy.mil/home/Su.../18APR03SC.pdf
"Zuiderkruis took on 19,000 barrels of diesel fuel marine (DFM/F-76)..."

http://www.jiatfs.southcom.mil/j4/Ma...PuertoRico.doc
"(U) Fuel. DFM (F-76) and JP-5 (F-44) available."

That's roughly 5% difference. It may not seem like much, but
considering the Navy's overall fuels budget, it can really add up.

That's $500 for a 10K gallon fill up. Substantial enough savings.
Anyone know how much fuel a DDG takes on at a time?

From a quick search, an UNREP of 150,000 gallons would seem to be typical.

I figure a destroyer's total capacity is around 500,000 gallons. That's
based on F-76 at 300 gallons per ton and the Combat Fleets figure that a
Spruance carries 1,650 tons of fuel. No fuel figures available for DDGs,
but that's a decent ballpark estimate anyway. Plenty of money to be saved
here.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872