View Single Post
Old August 28th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default WTB: PowerFLARM Portable

Richard, my experience with FLARM is limited to the manual and reading here plus one contest (Elmira) and a few discussions there. On that basis, see my comments/questions inline below.

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 1:37:05 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

Core instead,

Cost.

I'm assuming I can pick up a used Portable at a discount based on some pilots upgrading to the core. Further, wouldn't I have to purchase an outboard device (FlarmView, etc.) to add to the core, unless I interface it with a flight computer software/tablet combo that I don't currently own? There's some appeal since the Portable doesn't provide the audible alerts, but I'm OK glancing at the screen when I hear the alarm. Cost is actually a big consideration with me so if I'm headed down the wrong road, help me out!

Connections to other devices more options with core.

I understand you can only drive one device with the Portable but that's one more than I plan to have anyway. At most, I'd interface it with whatever newish flight computer software/tablet combo I pick to replace my faithful GNII/Compaq 1550.

Ability to fit in the glider. Visibility etc. few glider have the room to put on top of panel.

I flew with it on top of the panel at Elmira and it was "OK". Not perfect but not a big deal. I have a special Streifeneder panel in my ASW 24 with higher knee cutouts (I'm tall) and it has a flat top and sides. The Portable was an easy "drill two holes" install on the flat top portion and I can live with it that way permanently.

Better Antenna options.

Not sure I understand this one so I'm probably missing something. The standard "on the box" antennas worked OK. The range pattern had an odd lobe that I attribute to the steel canopy wire deflector cage in my glider. For maximum range, I have the option to go with outboard GPS and ADS-B antennas, and with one or two FLARM antennas. But that's only if I need better range; i..e., if "stealth" doesn't become the default contest mode, as I hope it will--let's not start another discussion about that here, though!

Thanks for the comments. I'm still educating myself so feel free to add/elaborate/correct.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.