Old June 4th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Ram air

Big John wrote in
:

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:31:53 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

On Jun 1, 7:59 pm, wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:06 pm, Gezellig wrote:

It happens that formulated :

In the 1970's Ford sold some cars with "Ram-Air Induction"
systems. A scoop mounted on the carb that stuck out above the
hood, to ram vast volumes of air into the carb and get way more
horsepower. That's what they wanted you to believe. At 60 mph

the
pressure recovery would have been laughably tiny, but Ford's
profits were impressive.

Had a Trans Am, scoop was reversed, facing the windshield, had a
flap that opened when MP increased. They claimd that the reversed
position was at the low pressure point at the base of the
windshield hence enhancing the rammed air effect. I don't know,

it
was cool, the scoop assembly was attached to the engine so that

on
acceleration you could see the engine sitting down on its mounts

as
the scopp popped open and lowere ever so slightly.

Locating the scoop at the low-pressure point wouldn't do

much
for ram-air effect, would it? I think the real idea would have been
to make sure the driver heard that thing sucking loudly so it

sounded
like a real powerhouse
I once converted a 14 foot outboard runabout to a 13 foot
inboard Cracker Box with a Chev 283 straight-shaft setup. The
exhausts were water-cooled and exited through the transom. Made so
much noise that I made two mufflers and quieted it right down. The
carb's flame arrestor stuck up far enough that I had a scoop on the
deck, facing away from the cockpit (which was at the back).
Everything else was covered. I dropped my Dad off on a gravel bar

on
a lake once, so he could fish off it while I ran to the far end of
the lake to try the fishing there, three or four miles away. He

told
me he knew when I was coming back; he could hear that Rochester
Quadrajet four-barrel open up and suck vast quantities of air; the
boat got one mile per gallon at full throttle with that huge carb.
But went real fast. I sold it years ago and I bet it don't go real
fast no more, with fuel prices the way they are now.
Dan

I confess to enjoying ancedotal stories.
As a monster nut brat I got some tin cans together
and built a pulse jet, complete with a flapping duct
input, and used a hair dryer for my air input source,
in my parents downstairs fireplace.
So I pour in some gas into the thing, lite it up,
turn on the hair dryer and holy poop, the duct starts
fluttering and flames are fluttering out the ass end!
It worked! It buzzed!

I probably used a pint of gasoline per minute of
operation, but that wasn't the point, it was actually
seeing the damn thing in operation.
Hands on is good stuff.

Please do build another one just like that and put it on youtube,

then..

I've only ever seen one person die right in front of my eyes before.

Bertie

Bertie

I've seen two. Both stalled and spun in (

Big John

Neer seen one die in an airplane accident in front of my eyes, but seen
the aftermath, unfortunatley. Seen a girl crushed in a crowd right in
front of me. Yipes. Saw a few die in an ICU a few years ago. That wasnt
so bad, somehow.

Bertie