Old September 10th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

RK Henry writes:

No, you can't. Feeling the movement is entirely the point.

That's a matter of individual preference. For instrument flight,
feeling the movement is not only unnecessary, but potentially
hazardous, if it distracts attention from what the instruments are
saying.

If you could fly the airplane by reference to the instruments
without feeling movement, then instrument training would be easy.

It is.

But it doesn't work like that in the real world. The airplane
inherently imparts accelerations that are inconsistent with the
indications of the instruments.

Which ones?

Part of the training process is learning to ignore the
sensations and trust the instruments.

That rather conflicts with the preceding statement, doesn't it? If
the instruments don't accurately indicate accelerations, why trust
them?

It can be very difficult for the untrained pilot to make this
mental adjustment in the seconds before making a crater in the
ground, which is why getting the training beforehand is so important.

Like I said, the idea is to trust the instruments.