Old October 6th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Default Antonov control cables

Ah, I understand. Too bad, I would have loved to see what that looked like.
If you get another chance, don't forget to snap a pic.

Juan

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
No I didn't. It was really a pretty lousy day for photography
(Barnes/Westfield). What I remember is that the "sleeve" was very thin
and you could see how the cable was wrapped over itself. The "sleeve"
was formed pretty tightly over wraps of cable. That is why I compared
it to heat shrink tubing since it had flowed and formed so completely
over the cable. I don't remember any seams as from a pair of dies that
might have been used to compress the "sleeve". The wrapped portion of
the cable seemed round in cross section not crushed or flattened. It
really looked like the "sleeve" had been shrunk over the cable.

Juan Jimenez wrote:
"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was at an airshow this summer and saw an Antonov AN-2 Colt. I have
always liked them since I saw the first one ever brought into the
country back in 1976. This time I noticed the rudder control
cables.
The end of the cable at the rudder horns was wrapped around a
thimble
but then things got weird. The cable was not clamped back on itself
with a copper sleeve like a nicopress sleeve and it was not woven
into
itself like a tuck splice.

The cable looked like it was simply wrapped over itself three or
four
times and then covered with some kind of heat shrinkable metal
sleeve.
This metal sleeve was definitely shrunken over cable and you could
see
that the bitter end of the cable was wrapped around the standing
end.
This sleeve was not rubber or plastic like the heat shrink used in
wiring. I scraped at with my fingernail and it was definitely metal
of
some sort. I would estimate now that the sleeve was at least two
inches long and maybe longer.

Has anyone else noticed this with Soviet/Russian style aircraft? Is
this standard practice in Eastern Europe? Any idea how this
technique
compares with Nicopress or the tuck splice for strength and
durability?

Regards to all,

John Dupre'

John, did you take any pictures?