Old June 18th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default A place to visit in the southern Sierra

If you are talking about this Saturday, the Rutan Brothers annual birthday
party is going on from noon 'til 4.

Otherwise, it looks as though you plan on crossing over the Sierra at
Tehachapi? and then proceeding up the EAST face of the Sierra and then
crossing back at Reno/I-80? If this is not so, just tell us the route
rather than having us guess.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi all - I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm flying from Palo Alto
down to Taft-Kern (L17), and then taking a day to fly back (in a
'gutless Cutlass'). I'd like to detour to somewhere in the Sierra to
make the trip back more interesting, so I am looking for a
recommendation of somewhere to fly into that is scenic, is near
somewhere that is cool to visit for hiking in said lovely scenery,
where it's possible to make the logistics work (ie no rental car
necessary, or one on the field).

The area I'm looking at is Kern-Valley / Lone Pine / Eastern Sierra /
Mammoth. If you head east from San Fran, then rollow the Sierra range
down until you are due north of LA, that defines the area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom