Old August 18th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale[_3_]

Default Unusual Traffic

In article ,
Airbus wrote:

After an ILS to 04 at KSCH the other day, we broke out into decent VFR,
so I asked for some closed pattern work. On downwind, they asked us to
hold 360 degrees "Traffic is a Boeing B-17, your twelve o'clock, two
miles . . ." Then "Number two, behind the Boeing . . ." I followed him in
from left base and watched him land, did a go-around just to fly over and
get a look at him, coasting lazily across the ramp. A couple of patterns
later he was lined up for takeoff again, and I got a full base-leg view
of him lumbering off runway 22. How many times have I told myself you
should always have a digital point-and-shoot in your flight bag . . .

I used to fly the B-17 and B-24 for the Collings Foundation. We (the
B24) were inroute to Anchorage, Alaska. SE of Cordova we meet a Turbine
Otter heading south. He calls on 122.8 and asks our type of aircraft
and we told him B-24 Liberator. He replied that he thought that's what
we were but was surprised to see us so wanted to make sure. We didn't
tell him that a few miles in trail was the B-17 9-0-0. After a few
minutes comes back up on 22.8 with "holy **** guys, did you know there's
a B-17 behind you?!"

It was a lot of fun flying those airplanes. G