Old June 5th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Welding question #1

On Jun 5, 8:00*am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm at my welding table practicing welding with a new torch, and I've
found myself burning thru the metal. I've been correcting the error
by *filling in the metal with filler and continuing with the exercise.

Can I do the same to correct a "run away hole" on real work? - Mike

There are certainly better welder than me on this group to advise you
but I'll give it a try.

Possibilities:

1. Your gas pressure is too high and you are blowing holes in the
metal. Try using a smaller flame and working slower.

2. You aren't quick enough in pulling the flame back when you see the
metal starting to boil and spark. If you see that, the heat needs to
be reduced NOW. The only way to quickly reduce heat is remove the
flame.

Learning to weld it fun if a little frustrating. It brings out the
inner child - with pyromaniacal tendencies.