Old November 4th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Wanted: Friendly Single-Seater for PSU Soaring Club

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 15:21:56 -0700, Phil Chidekel wrote:

We posted this as a plug to find something for a bunch of college kids
to fly. I do not wish to begin a debate as to what constitutes an ideal
club glider. Take that elsewhere.

I should have added that, especially if its a glider that you want to
encourage new solos to use for getting a Silver C and maybe other XC
badges [1], then I think its a good idea to get one with a decent trailer
and keep it in the trailer. This gets its pilots familiar with rigging
and de-rigging. You really don't want them doing their first derig in
some field, and if you have a bunch of them flying it helping each other
with tasking and the inevitable rig/derig is good for camaraderie and
club spirit.

[1] In the UK the next step after the Silver C is to get the 100km
diploma, It involves flying a declared 100km task. You get '100km part 1'
for just doing it and '100km part 2' by doing it faster than 50 or 60kph
[can't remember which offhand] and its up to you whether you take one or
two flights to get both parts (I did it in one flight in a Pegase 90,
flying the task and then turning round and doing it a second time in the
opposite direction - following an instructor's suggestion of what to do
if I got round fairly fast. The second run was faster.)

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK