Old March 16th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

Default Safari for sale

On Mar 16, 1:42*pm, "Stu Fields" wrote:
"JohnO" wrote in message

On Mar 10, 5:28 am, "Stu Fields" wrote:

"JohnO" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 3:12 pm, "Stu Fields" wrote:

I'm selling my Safari $70K. If interested call (760) 377 4478 for a
bunch
of extras.

Starting on a Hummingbird, Stu?

Nope. I've got a Helicycle kit under construction. Just can't get around
the more expensive Hummingbird. I should probably just bite the bullet.
The Hummingbird is probably the best experimental helicopter out there. If
Brad ever did a smaller two seat ship, I would be interested for sure.

I can't see that ever happening though. One thing to re-issue an
existing certified design as experimental, but another thing
altogether to get a new design out there - especially in competition
with a established designs such as RW and Safari.

What would be the main advantages of a 2 seat HB over a Safari?

Brad seems to use more engineering and is much more intune with things like
design life issues that are based on engineering calculations and not just
what I call "rectal extraction" estimates. *I personally don't think that
either the RW or the Safari have really done it right yet. *Both have
problems that could be fixed with the proper dose of some engineering. *That
said, the market base is small enough to make spending the $ that it might
take to do that engineering is probably not going to be available.

It would be cool if Sikorsky/Schweitzer ever gave up building 2
seaters and allowed the 269 design to be taken over for experimental
home builders though!

The Brantly should be a candidate for that conversion. The B2B uses a VO
engine from Lycoming and they are charged gobs and gobs for the special
engine. This forces their prices up a bit.
*From experience with the horizontal to vertical conversion used in the
Safari, a home built Brantly could save maybe $40K plus just in the engine
itself. *The Brantly is a very easy to fly helicopter but needs some
altitude performance enhancement that someone like Brad could probably
figure it out. *Yeah I know. *The Brantly is what was in the guy's mind when
he coined the term "Butt Ugly"..

Who cares - it flies!