Old August 1st 20, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Shelton[_2_]

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:59:08 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
Some of the posts here about water landing could give the impression that it's not so bad. Sometimes it isn't.

Readers should bear in mind that those who drown while so doing are not posting their story in counterpoint. I have just one friend who's ever attempted a water landing with his glider. He won't be posting.

That's a very unfortunate point Steve. I paraglide at a coastal site near the San Francisco Bay. Hang glider and paraglider pilots drown there nearly every year. Although water landings are usually gentle, any injury or loss of conciousness can be deadly in the water. People get stuck in their harness, drown in surf, smashed into rocks, or succumb to hypothermia. If the water is 32 degrees and you're a poor swimmer, then banging up the sailplane on dry land could be the better option.