Old March 9th 21, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default Alternative to the Battery wows?

On Tuesday, 9 March 2021 at 16:24:12 UTC, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's terrific! The energy content in H2 beats anything except nuclear
power, and wouldn't it be great to fly a 72 ton glider around with
unlimited launch and retrieve capability? But one statement in the
article has me perplexed:

"Current hydrogen extraction is highly energy intensive, so ways to
harvest “green hydrogen” using water electrolysis are being explored."

I believe that it takes more energy to extract the hydrogen from water
than is realized by burning the hydrogen. I have no idea of the energy
cost to liquefy and distill hydrogen. Can anybody shed some light on
that? I can see giant smoke stacks spewing sooty black smoke into the
air due to burning coal to generate the electricity to compress the air
to harvest the hydrogen. Well... Maybe not. Perhaps covering Europe
with wind mills to make the electricity and using sailing ships to
deliver the H2 around the world.

Credit to Dr. Seuss and Rube Goldberg for the inspiration.

Dan
5J
On 3/8/21 11:26 AM, AS wrote:
Ran across this short article about an interesting project at the Delft University in The Netherlands:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dutc...153606032.html

Uli
AS

It looks like covering Saudi Arabia with solar panels is the way!

https://tinyurl.com/3kjwd6nf