Old March 23rd 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 8:48:40 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

I'll give you a scenario for yours: the cheap Chinese cable clip used in the engine bay to secure the battery cable falls out, letting the positive battery cable fall against the engine. That short circuits the battery when the starter button is pressed, sinking 1000 amps and setting the entire wiring harness on fire, which passes right under your butt and next to the fuel tank. "Houston, we have a problem...."

I may have only "mass produced Chinese circuits" to prevent this from happening in my glider, but at least I have something.

Not a direct reply, but I took delivery of a brand new glider from Schleicher that had one (out of four) bad LFP battery. All the batteries are fused at the battery with circuit breaker on panel for each instrument. Kept blowing fuses. Schleicher told me they had not heard of a battery going bad, but quickly refunded monies to purchase a new battery. No problems with new battery. I have also had a NiCad runaway on a helicopter (at sunset of course in the mountains). Batteries burn really well. Life is full of risk v reward. Know your risks and reward.