Old October 1st 04, 05:46 AM
sidk

John wrote:
Craig wrote:

Part of it is probably due to the fact that Motorola rigs are well known
for actual RF output _well_ above the 'nominal' output. I used to use a
nominal 30 watt VHF hi-band unit where the actual RF out was just over 47
watts. Every time I took it into the radio shop to have the cavities tweaked,
they insisted on doing a TX test. *Despite* my warning them about the output
level, they'd blow the attenuator on the test instrument every time. After
the puff of smoke, the urge to say "I told you so" was nearly overwhelming.

Uhh, John... 47 Watts is barely 2 dB greater power than 30 Watts.
Are you saying that they had a piece of equipment that could not
handle a 2 dB overload and would "...blow the attenuator on the test
instrument every time." ???
Further, an attenuator designed for a nominal 30 Watts would have a
fairly substantial mass or a lot of forced-air cooling. An additional
2 dB would make it go up in a "...puff of smoke.." ???

Sid Knox

Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC