Old July 15th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default OSH Arrivals -- The Kiwi is Ready

Okay, so I spent a couple of hours today ("Honest, Mary, the guys
*asked* me to do this!") setting up some OSH arrival scenarios in the
Kiwi, our full-sized flight simulator at our aviation-theme-suite
hotel. (See it he http://alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm)

The first scenario starts you over Ripon, flying down the railroad
tracks toward FISK. You can follow the tracks all the way into a
right downwind for Rwy 27 (or a straight-in for Rwy 9), just like the
real deal.

The second scenario has you on right base-to-final for Rwy 27, with
instructions to land on the green dot...

The third scenario has you doing a fly-by past the tower (try THAT at
AirVenture!). Since this has after-market add-on scenery, the real
tower is there, as are the tents in the fly market, Aeroshell square,
and a zillion or two aircraft parked alongside the runways. The
illusion is quite real.

The fourth scenario has you on short final for Rwy 36.

All of these saved scenarios are flown in a Skylane in fair weather,
although we can substitute any plane, from a Cherokee to a B-29, and
we can make the field "Oshkosh VFR" (1.5 miles in either direction)
with a few mouse clicks.

I've also got the FISK Arrival NOTAM ready for viewing on the 104"
screen, and we'll print out free copies for anyone who asks. Anything
to help avoid last year's near-fiasco.

You guys who are coming here for the pool party this coming Saturday,
July 21st (see it he http://alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm
) will be welcome to practice holding 90 knots and 1800 MSL all day
long.

It's especially challenging after a few cold ones...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA