Old July 3rd 04, 04:16 AM
Dudley Henriques

About the negative stuff; the only reason I mentioned it was for you to
make sure whatever harness you bought was comfortable on the negative
side of things. The aerobatic harness is usually much more comfortable
in this respect.
One thing to keep in mind if you're going to be doing formation in a
Pitts, and unfortunately it's not a very pleasant thought :-) Remember,
if you DO make hard contact and have a wing failure, the flying wires
will probably hold on the top wing and the wing will literally beat you
to death before you can get out....so don't get too close!! :-))
Dudley
"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
Dudley,
Sound advice.

Negative stuff isn't the reason I've decided to get a chute. I've

done a
bit of negative but I'm staying away from any of the real stuff until

I get
some inverted spin training. No, what's really made me decide were

two
things. One is that I've started doing some basic formation work with

mate. While we're taking it slow and investing in some training,

there's
always the risk of something going wrong and someone's airplane

touching
someone else's. It's that scenario that makes a chute seem like a

good
idea. I've also got a bit of a phobia about fire in the cockpit.
The other thing was a long term re-evaluation of the risks. When I

first
started flying the Pitts, I thought about a chute but initially ruled

it out
(they're not required for aerobatics in the UK, and, in fact, a lot of

guys
don't wear them). I ruled it out because I figured that to open the

canopy,
exit the aircraft, deploy the chute, and get one swing in before

hitting the
ground, I'd need to be about 2,000 feet up. Well, when competing
andpracticing, I only ever got up that high at the tops of aerobatic
maneuvers, not during the bulk of my flying. So, I figured, if I

rarely fly
high enough for a chute to work, what are the chances of being able to

get
that altitude if I needed it? Pretty slim, I reckoned, so I thought a

chute
was a comfort factor more than a real safety option.

Now, that all said, I'd feel like a real tit if I found myself with an
unflyable airplane and no means to get out of it. So screw all that
misguided analysis above, I'm getting a bailout chute. I guess this

is a
case of experience and age teaching one a bit of wisdom? It seems

silly to
deny myself an option based on some flawed logic applied in the

hangar.

Thanks for the tip on the Softie. I'm going to give them a call

tonight.

Cheers,
Shawn
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

Forgot to tell you. Whatever you buy, try it on first and make at

least
one flight in it with the Pitts. Don't baby the flight either. Take

it
out sustained both ways and see how it feels, especially inverted.

Do a
half roll, stabilize there and just hang for a bit and feel it on

your
back. You'll know if it's going to do the job for you.
Dudley