Old March 6th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Strategy for icing due to freezing rain

If you go into visible moisture below freezing you can get ice. I just
use the airmets. If there is an icing airmet where I want to fly, I
don't go.

The solution for ice is to turn on the deice equipment. If you don't
have it, you are pretty much screwed. Get out of it any way you can. If
you can't descend below it or outclimb it, turn around.

Above all, don't get "boxed in" by ice, where you can't descend below
it because it is ice and IMC below the MEA, you can't climb above it
because you can't climb that high and you can't turn around because
there is ice back there too.

Small GA aircraft and ice just aren't a good combination.