Old March 5th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default ILS sans identification

In article , Ron Natalie
wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Anyone have a reference for a requirement to identify an ils or vor
prior to it's use in the USA?
Secondly, is there any reference to the type of identification
required? For example, would checking that the primary flight display
is displaying the correct identifier suffice? Or is there a
stipulation for morse code audible type of identification?

Stan

I can't cite chapter and verse, but I never bother listening to the morse
ident any more. The GNS-480 decodes it for you and displays the letter
code. I can't see any possible failure mode where the display would be
wrong but I would be able to correct it by listening myself.

I don't know if it is a rule, but it is stupid not to. We had a plane
fly into terrain because they were tracking not the Localizer but a
nearby VOR.

I didn't say I didn't identify it, I said I didn't listen to the morse.
The box listens to the morse for me and displays it as letters. I check to
make sure IHPN comes up in the display.

If I'm flying something without the decode feature, then I listen myself.