Old May 5th 13, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Jantar 2b opinions sought

Many years ago, my first glider was a Jantar-1, the earlier 19-meter version of the Jantar 2b. I transitioned to it after training in K-13s It is strong, well-built (but not up to the standard of the German ships) and heavy.. This is not a glider you want to rig often - the field emptied quickly when I appeared with my trailer, but I soon negotiated a hangar slot! I did all my badge flights up to diamond goal in this ship.

Its performance is quite good - I flew a lot with ASW-20s and kept up with them in all but the strongest conditions - water ballast helped. In weak late-afternoon conditions I got home a couple of times when they didn't - there is no substitute for wingspan!

The fuselage is identical to the Standard Jantar, which leaves it a bit under-ruddered and prone to adverse yaw. The cockpit is big and pretty comfortable.

I would definitely only consider it if you can leave it rigged.

Mike