Old March 29th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Winds on approach

On 03/29/07 14:34, Bob Gardner wrote:
You are timing your ILS approaches? Any reason for this? I can't find
anything in my 172P book that suggests 90 kts as an approach speed, even in
gusty winds. Seems fast to me.

Well ... 90 knots was the speed I was taught to use when flying precision
and non-precision approaches (in the C-172 airplane in which I trained).

Bob Gardner

"kevmor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I flew yesterday and did some practice approaches, and the winds were
about 20 knots gusting to 26-28. I've flown almost all approaches so
far in a different 172 that had a 180hp conversion. Because of the
winds, I kept almost full cruising power on the descents to try and
maintain my normal 90 kts ground speed for timing and roughly 500fpm
for the ILS.

This plane did have an IFR GPS indicating ground speed, but the one
I've been using for all other approaches didn't, neither DME. The CFI
informed me I should have used known power settings. What are your
thoughts? I'm not sure how I would've known the right power setting,
unless I used what I normally do, and accept the lower ground speed,
then adjust my descent for the ILS to a much lower fpm descent?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA