Old June 2nd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Canadians importing from Aircraft Spruce?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:56:06 GMT, "Benbo" wrote:

"TJ400" wrote in message
roups.com...
I posted earlier regarding a Canadian alternate for 4130 steeel tubing
but now require assistance when importing other aircraft supplies into
Canada from Aircraft Spruce.

When parcel arrives here in Canada, shipping, GST, duty and brokerage
fees are incredibly high...

Wait a minute. I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate tariffs for both
northbound and southbound goods crossing the 49th parallel? Wasn't that one
of the points NAFTA supporters were bragging about?

Are there any secrets or hints I might use
when having this stuff shipped north... For those who do a lot of
importing, how is it best accomplished? Can a small aviation
enthusiast like myself save a little in any way?

thanks so much in advance
TJ...

NAFTA eliminates the duty on good made in the US or Mexico. All the
other fees still apply. To save on brokerage get them to ship by mail.
Then you just pay a $5.00 flat fee plus the GST and provincial tax
depending what province you live in. Often on small items they just go
straight through with no charges at all. Another way is to have your
shipment go to the UPS store in a border city. Then you can go over
and pick it up then broker it through yourself. I just did that with
my new prop cuz it was to big to ship by mail. Another way is to plan
your summer vacation to include a trip to Oshkosh all the vendors will
be there with much of their stuff on sale. If you stay long enough you
can bring back your stuff tax exempt.