Old April 23rd 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default Region 5 North Perry, SC on NBC news

Here's the link:

http://www.nbcaugusta.com/news/local/91780629.html

Here's the funny story:

When I landed, amidst 65 gliders in this competition, as I was rolling
off the runway I noticed a massive news camera on a tripod. I slowed
the glider down to about 3-5 mph and kept it rolling and rolling and
rolling straight on over directly to the camera. I thought it would
be cool for me to stop just about 20 feet in front of the camera.
Well, aparrently, the camera man looking through the lens must have
zoomed in on me! He scrambled away knocking over his camera and
tripod then realized he was in no danger at all. It was really funny.

I then climbed out of the cockpit, walked over to him and his other
news reporters. I offered an apology and explained that gliders have
a wheel brake, and we can decide where we want to stop. We enjoyed
the laugh together.

Then they put a microphone on my collar and started an interview with
me. I tried my best to smile and do our sport justice.

Hope you enjoy the video. I'll put together my own video when I get
back home. The soaring is marvelous, we have seen cloud streets at
8,800 msl that run for 30-40 miles.Today I hit a 7 knot thermal with 3
turns at 10 knots.

Scott Alexander