Old March 31st 05, 06:10 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message

And, if I remember correctly, for VFR in most instances you can fly
altitude rather than flight level (but when you talk to ATC it's
important to make the distinction). For example, going home the other
day, I was flying altitude 4000 over the Pennines, but didn't change to
flight levels once over the Irish Sea now I was over 3000' AGL - I just
told Ronaldsway I was 'altitude 4000' when I checked in with them.

That's correct, for the UK at least. There's no requirement for VFR flights
to cruise at particular levels, so there's not much point in insisting that
VFR flights use a particular altimeter setting, outside controlled airspace.
However they are "encouraged" to set 1013 above the TA and use quadrantal
levels.

Julian Scarfe