Old May 3rd 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default C-172

The problem with this isn't that the 172 can't do the roll within it's
normal category limits. The problem arises when and if the pilot executing
the roll somehow screws it up.

If this happens you might not have ANY...... and I repeat ANY, excess g to
play with. Couple this with the worst possible exit scenario for a botched
barrel roll being a rolling pullout and you have the perfect recipe for a
possible over g condition.
My advice is NOT to attempt it EVER in this type of airplane. The pilots who
fly aerobatics in non aerobatic certificated aircraft are expert and on
waivers.
Bottom line on this issue is that doing aerobatics in non aerobatic
certificated airplanes should NOT be attempted.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Ex- Demonstration Pilot P51 Mustang and others.

"gt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I own a 1960 Cessna 172 with 2500 hours on the airframe. It is not
rated for aerobatic flight, but the positive and negative G loads that
it is approved for far exceed the normal G forces associated with a
well-executed barrel roll.

Has anyone heard of this maneuver being performed in a 1960 172?