Old December 12th 09, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Reflections on a year of aircraft ownership

"brian whatcott" wrote

I rigged a jack staff with a second winch at the trailer head, and made a
wooden tree to fit in the rudder pintle, so that fastening the winch line
to the forestay allows the mast to wind up without too much stress on the
mast footer. But half way to vertical, the mast is apt to sway
sidewards way too much, without a steady line on the foot of each side
stay held by an innocent bystander...

I have a solution for that problem. Rig a loop on each one of the side
stays with a short section of wire rope and U-splice fittings, (or some way
of your own choosing to attach extra lines) up high enough that you can
still reach it when the mast is up. Fix up a rope with two hooks the right
length that you will fix to an added eye on the rails of the boat, exactly
abeam of the mast pivot. If you do it right, you can find the right place
and lengths to keep lines tight on both sides, all of the way up.

You get the picture, I hope. Using your method to wind up the mast, the
extra temp rigging will prevent any and all movement of the mast side to
side. Once it is up all the way, you can switch over to the correct stays.

I also had an O'Day 25, for quite a few years. Added an inboard, with my
dad, after we got tired of the 9.9 kicker packing it in at the most
inconvenient times. I did get pretty good at coming into the slip under
sail! g

I kick myself for selling that boat, sometimes.
--
Jim in NC