Old November 20th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Spera

Default backup for vacuum pump/attitude indicator failure

Kelly wrote:

I would be interested in getting opinions about backup systems for a
vacuum pump failure and/or AI failure.

..stuff snipped
Looks like I could get a 396
or installed electric AI for about the same price ($2200 or so). While
I haven't seen the panel page/"6-pack" page on the 396 or 496, I have
read (in Aviation Consumer) that it's good enough to keep control of
the airplane in an emergency situation. Obviously, the 396/496 has a
number of other neat features such as inflight weather, terrain info,
etc.

Funny you should ask. I covered up my AI and DG and tried flying via the
panel page on my 396. Downright freaky. I figured the lag would not be
too bad but it really does present a challenge. I suppose with practice
it might do. But in bumpy IMC I might be chasing the TC and altimeter
indications all over the place. The 496 has a faster refresh that may
make this less of an issue.

On the other hand, the lag might keep me from overworking the controls
as I often do in IMC on a bumpy day. You won't correct for every little
deviation because the unit won't update that fast.

I like the idea of that little box that had solid state gyros in it and
you would velcro to the floor and hook up to a PDA. Instant electric
gyros without the gyro wear and tear. If only you could USB the signal
into the 396...

Good Luck,
Mike