Old July 13th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default FH-1100

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
It would appear the FH 1100 operation in Century Florida is pretty
much dead now. George VanNevel has had ongoing problems with the FAA
including a raid by the feds and local law enforcement to seize
records, parts, etc. He had been struggling for funding for some time
and a continuing battle with the FAA. With the loss of many records
and operating materials, he can't do any work. Its a small town on the
FL.AL border about 70 north of Pensacola and finding qualified people
for helicopter work is hard to do.
A fatal crash last fall cast a pall over the operation even though no
proof was available that it was a helicopter flaw or what the cause of
the crash was. The helicopter was on its way west with the new owner
and a student on board. Crash area witnesses said the weather was
nasty and they heard a helicopter going low and fast but didn't see
it. Speculation runs rampant from that point on.
I did some instrument instruction in one of their machines training a
new instructor and had no problems or complaints with the machine. I
visited the facility several times and heard of plans to improve and
produce the FH1100 including blades (which has been an ongoing problem
with nearly ALL Hillers). My impression was a lack of funding was the
major problem. As it stands, I think the FH1100 is probably going to
fade into history.

In your opinion, how does the FH100 compare with the Bell 206 series

Stu?