Old February 6th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default patent for bank angle from GPS signals

d&tm wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some will find this reference interesting. An underlying assumption
for the patent seems to be the airplane is in coordinated flight.
Isn't that an uncomfortable assumption for most of you -- slips along
a straight track would go undetected as banks, wouldn't they?

I recall recently helping somebody on this newsgroup with the maths to work
this out.
Given that differential GPS is supposed to be accurate within cm I would
have thought that it would be possilbe to have GPS sensors on the end of the
wings , and the nose and tail for that matter to provide information about
the attitude of an aircraft that would be independant of whether the
aircraft was coordinated or not. . Or perhaps the cm accuracty only applies
in the horizontal plane?

Is the patent applicant the guy who works/ed for NASA that was giving
out papers on this subject several years ago in the NASA Pavillion at
Oshkosh?