Old May 8th 05, 04:05 AM
Smitty

In article ,
gregg wrote:

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to the world of riveting. I have to do some and I
know nothing about it.

You can see a photo of one on:
http://www.eleathersupply.com/fasteners.shtml

Scroll down tot he 7th item

Stock #127111-7513
Steel Single Cap Rapid Rivets

how are they set?

What sort of tool would I use?

Thanks

This isn't an aircraft rivet, it's a sewing rivet, used in clothing and
upholstery. (and flight helmets) So, you're in the wrong newsgroup for
experience in setting these things. I'd check with a local seamstress or
tailor shop, or the local arts and crafts leather belt maker, who can
probably set them for you for a couple of bucks. I remember a g/f who
used to work in upholstery telling me about these things.

But it seems to me that you could set it with an arbor press, fitted
with a concave swager so that it doesn't deform the head, and an
appropriate block on the backside.