Old November 18th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default IT'S 240 Volts, NOT 220...Whatever!!!

It isn't 120/240 either. It is way too awkward to call it 118/236, even

though
that is most accurate. Calling it 110/220 gets the idea across... Let the
electrical engineers and others that get hung up on exactly what it is,

figure
out how to fight convention.

To me, it's still 110/220.

I call it that as well; but I have seen 125.

Now, let's get really weird, and figure out what comes out of the plugs at

my
school. Three phase, split off to use single phase, now is it Delta or Y?

95%
of the people in the US don't know and don't care. What will they call

that
208?

I would but that figure closer to 99.5%

I think that's unfortunate, since the easiest way to save money and energy
at the same time is to run motors on three phase power; and three phase Y is
the only place you'll ever see anything properly called 208 volts.

BTW, in my neck of the woods, if you were a major account, you used to get
only open delta unless you paid for the installation of closed delta--and it
was well worth the price!

Peter