Old September 28th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default UFO HeliThruster and IFR?

"Jim Stewart" wrote

OTOH, since I've never seen a pilot in a
standard certificated fixed-wing aircraft
wearing a helmet, I must assume that the
helmeted gyrocopter pilots are feeling a
greater degree of risk than the fixed-wing
pilots.

My take is that in the case of an engine failure, the gyro driver has the
"autorotate" maneuver as his emergency landing option. The chance of a
survivable but hard landing is a real possibility. A helmet would possibly
help that hard landing be survivable.

On the other hand, a fixed wing emergency landing is likely to be relatively
smooth, (no helmet needed) or so hard that a helmet would not likely help
much.

That's my guess, anyway.
--
Jim in NC