Old March 14th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Don Poitras

Default squawk code 2000

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Gordy" wrote in message

I just got back to the snow in upstate New York from Maui. We flew United
Airlines both ways. It was fun listening in on channel 9. I was surprised
to hear all the flights getting the same squawk code. Each flights was
instructed to squawk 2000 over the Pacific Ocean. Are all flights between
the main land and Hawaii handled in this manner? What is the reasoning?

FAA Order 7110.66C National Beacon Code Allocation Plan assigns code 2000
for use in oceanic airspace.

Some googling provides the reasoning. Since there isn't radar control out
there, there is no reason for discrete squawks, but TCAS will still need
transponders turned on, so convention says use 2000.

--
Don Poitras