Old June 26th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Future of Electronics In Aviation

On 2008-06-26, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

74HC138? You EE too?

No, nothing so grand - merely a hobbyist, although I do some fairly
advanced hobbyist stuff (the current hardware project is an ethernet
card for one of my old 8 bit computers, the hardware is done and works -
all fine pitch SMD on a 4 layer PCB. But the real engineers did all the
hard work packaging a MAC and PHY in a chip, I just had to lay out the
PCB well enough, along with some glue logic and memory).

Hah...what a coincindence. I have been reading the 802.11-2007 spec
for past few nights.

I am about to buy this:
http://us.zyxel.com/web/product_fami...No=PDCA2007080
Turns a PC into instant access point, which I will need to recreate a
DHCP-like server for new type of addressing scheme that is different
from IPv4 and IPv6 using a standard PC. Otherwise, would have to hack
WRT54G from Linksys and port my software to Linux or run two Wi-Fi
adapters in ad-hoc mode, which would have worked, but since would have
had to buy an adapter in addition to the one I already have...

Your computer sounds very compact. What are the specs? Which chip?
Zydas? Prism? OS? I am always interesed to see how spartan
requirements get for such devices.

I am particularly interested in knowing the delays for association and
reasociation. I read yesterday:

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3600486

...that re-association from one acess point to another by a moving
node can be as low as 68 milliseconds, which is not bad, but
obviously, the lower the better. [This is for MAC/PHY only, not higher
layers like DHCP] I need ultra-low-handover-delay to help solve the
mobility problem in computer networking. I will probably buy 5 of
these dongles, and set them up in a line spaced 100 meters apart, then
walk with laptop in hand and check that a streaming-video session from
hard disk of one of the computers is not broken as laptop moves 500
meters as it associates and reassociates with the 5 pseudo-access-
points.

-Le Chaud Lapin-