Old June 27th 04, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

Is the Commander in Chief subject to the UCMJ when dealing with
military matters? An inquiring mind (me) wants to know.

I don't think that a sitting president is subject to any law for acts
related to his presidential powers. That's what we have impeacment
for. (And it's why, when Nixon resigned, Gerry Ford gave him a blanket
pardon, so he wouldn't face criminal prosecution for Watergate--or
anything else, for that matter.)

Obviously there are limits. Clinton was disbarred by the Arkansas bar
association for lying under oath, even though the impeachment trial on
this matter failed in the Senate. But the bar association wasn't
imposing criminal sanctions, just withdrawing a permission it had
accorded him some years earlier.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum