Old September 22nd 04, 04:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

NW_PILOT wrote:

"A Private Pilot wants to rent an airplane and this person wants to fly it
from the west coast to the east coast but not back. This person would like
you to come along for the trip and dose not want to be reimbursed for any
part of the rental for time I act as PIC during the trip. This person also
is willing to pay for the aircraft rental for how ever many hours it takes
to get the airplane back home. This person would not be paying anyone for
acting as PIC just for the airplane rental! Would this be legal for a
private pilot to do? or would one have to pay your equal share on the way
there and all expenses on the way back home? or just pass on the trip"

Well, she's going to be flying out, so the Feds can't really expect you to have to
pay your way for that part -- you're a passenger. As for the trip back, the FAA has
been known to violate people for flying other people's aircraft for free, but only in
cases in which the pilot's were in competition with professionals (glider towplanes,
for example).

Me, I would let her pay the bills. I also wouldn't talk about it very much, just in
case.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.