Old August 21st 04, 02:59 AM
Mike Adams

"news.verizon.net" wrote:

I'm on my way to Flagstaff AZ late next week in my peashooter 172. I'm
watching the radar as thunderstorm after thunderstorm passes through
the SW. The last couple of days the forecasts mention 1-inch hail at
my destination! I've never flown the SW before. The FBO in Flagstaff
kind of downplayed the hail when I called. "Oh ya, it's been on the
ground in town but not out here,,, plenty of folks are parked on the
ramp so they must not be worried".

Any tips on whether I need to worry? Any folks in the high county have
some words of wisdom? What's normal in AZ for this time of year? They
want $80.00 a night to keep it in a hanger.

As others have said, if you're flying in the morning it should be nice. Our
"monsoon season" weather pattern is typically clear in the mornings, with
afternoon thunderstorm buildups very common. The best time to be flying
is in the morning. If you're staying overnight, and the sky is threatening,
I might go for the hangar. They had a major hail storm a week or two ago
with pictures in the news - it looked like a winter blizzard with several
inches of accumulation. I was up there a few weeks ago. It's a nice airport
and FBO. Enjoy the trip!

Mike