Old November 13th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Google Groups format

On 11/12/20 9:19 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I use Google Groups to read RAS. I know there are other ways to reach it, but this has been my preferred method. I don't want to install new software or to have group messages appear within my email.

Now Google has forced upon me their new, dumbed down, look and feel of Groups. It's been in "beta" for months, I've tried it out and sent them my feedback but of course they ignored what I told them. Now, for example, I can no longer see how many NEW messages there are in a thread before I open it.

But the worst of it is: I can't reply privately to the author of a message. The "reply to author" entry appears in the 3-dot menu, but is grayed out, and if I hover over it it says I am not authorized to send messages. But I could do that in the old format, and I can now post messages to the whole group. Blech. Does anybody know of a workaround?

As I described previously, I use Thunderbird, my email client. But it
is not as you suggest above with RAS postings interspersed with emails.
Instead it looks something like this:

Inbox (5)
Drafts
Sent
Junk
Trash
Soaring Newsgroup
r.a.soaring (9)

Off to the right is a list of the subject lines. Clicking on any one
(email or RAS topic) displays the message and marks it as read.

Oh, and I can reply directly to you or the newsgroup or, as I did with
that Crazy Canadian, mark his rants to be deleted without my seeing
them. Maybe I should do that with the Apology thread, but it's become
an amusement long past its useful life.

I know this is not right for everyone but it works very well for me.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan