Old October 10th 03, 02:02 PM
John Mullen

"Tom Cooper" wrote in message
They definitely blew that one: using footage that isn't suiting to the

text
and the story.

The Shah has not "ordered" a fly-off: he requested the opportunity to fly
each plane AFTER the IIAF has already made its mind. The fly-off was

offered
to him after all the briefings in Tehran, and because the Pentagon would

not
let him fly the F-14 or F-15.

Iran, nevertheless, ordered F-5E/Fs already before it ordered the F-14s:
these were intended as interim solution unitl the decision about the YF-16
or YF-17 would be made.

Re. speed: the F-15 should have the official top speed some 200km/h higher
than the F-14.

If you're confused about the quality of the show in question, it's easy to
find out how well researcherd it is: have they maintained that the F-14

saw
no serious service within the IRIAF during the war agianst Iraq?

I've seen the show in question and it's full of basic errors. They did make
the claim that it's the fastest fighter in the world which I don't think
even in its day it was. Can't remember if they even mentioned the Iranian
angle.

John