Old December 12th 03, 07:32 PM
me

Default Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements

(Polybus) wrote in message . com...
Dear Friend,

A committee of scholars, veterans, clergy, activists, students, and
other interested individuals is now forming to challenge the
Smithsonian's plans to exhibit the Enola Gay solely as a "magnificent
technological achievement." The planned exhibit is devoid not only of
historical context and discussion of the ongoing controversy
surrounding the bombings,

Which presumes there is a "controversy".

but even of basic information regarding the number of casualties.

None of the war planes on display list the casualties
associated with their use.

We have formulated the following statement of
principles, which we plan to circulate widely. The statement makes
clear that we are not opposed to exhibiting the plane in a fair and
responsible manner,

Which presumes that it is not.

but that we fear that such a celebratory exhibit
both legitimizes what happened in 1945

Which implies it has not already been "legitimzed". If anything
their is a current effort to "delegitmize" what happened in 1945.

and helps build support for the
Bush administration's dangerous new nuclear policies.

That's a stretch. The nuclear attacks of 1945 are a well
known historical fact. Not much one is going to say either
way about them that is going to change that. Bushes bombs
are different, we're different, the enemies are different,
even the most casual observers will have trouble drawing much
parallels here. Actually, casual observers will be the LEAST
able to do so.

We, in fact,
welcome and intend to initiate a national discussion of both the 1945
bombings and of current nuclear issues.

Fine, but what does that have to do with displaying one of the
more famous individual aircraft in the world in it's historical
context (i.e. with alot of other aircraft of the same era).

But before we launch a public
campaign and officially contact the Smithsonian, we seek endorsements
of the statement from a small number of prominent individuals who can
help the effort gain credibility

So, you admit you currently have little to no credibility and
yet you throw around expressions like "legitimize" and "controversy".
Be honest, you're trying to CREATE those things.

and attract media attention. More
active participation is, of course, welcome and desirable. Most
immediately, though, please let us know if we can add your name

[snip]

No.