Old December 23rd 04, 01:54 PM
Frijoles

"John Carrier" wrote in message
SNIP

I never lost a 1v1 to an A-4 -- ever. Can't say the same about some
others.

I always approach a "Never" statement from a fellow fighter pilot with a
certain level of skepticism. OTOH, I did a College Dart in an F-4 and
"never" got shot by an F-106 in ten sorties (TACTS data). But then again,
there was this ONE guy .... (and then there were the A-4's the USAF
invited to augment our 4 Phantoms ... they switched sides on day two much
to our chagrin).

Notice I didn't say "I've never been shot" nor did I say I've never lost a
1v1 -- rather, I never lost a 1v1 to an A-4. Lost to each of the 'teens' at
one time or another. As you point out, that's how one learns. (In
addition, I also learned 1v1 from a true master of the art before I ever got
to try my hand against dissimilar types). My first 1v1 dissimilar sortie
was against USAF AT-38, second against Canadian F-5A, third against VF-126
A-4F (circa 1984, P-8), fourth, a Miramar F-14A, and fifth a USAF Eagle.
After that, far too many to remember.