Old October 21st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Are small GA aircraft often equipped with things like autopilots, GPS
units, and EHSI displays? What about a radar altimeter?

The first plane I trained in was as basic as they get - one radio, one NAV.
It was adequate as a trainer, and even for renting (although I bought a
handheld GPS after I started renting more frequently). But they sold that
flight school and I don't think you can rent those planes anymore.

Later I switched to a Cessna dealer who rented out all new (1999 or later)
model Cessnas. They all had 2 radios, 2 navs, built-in GPS and Autopilot.
Some had add-ons like an HSI or a large screen display. One even had
weather. The flight school would charge slightly more for the planes with
the add-ons, I think about $10/hr more. From what I hear, they now have a
couple of G1000 planes as well that they rent out with a special checkout
and for a slightly higher price as well, but I haven't flown them.

Then I joined a flight club. All the planes in the flight club have similar
equipment - 2 nav/coms, Autopilot, GPS. The club has 2 Archers, 3 Arrows,
and 3 Bonanzas, with nearly identical panels. The Bonanzas, as "travel"
planes, have some add-ons like HSIs, and one has a StrikeFinder. The
airframes aren't brand new like at the Cessna Dealer, but they are clean,
well maintained, include modern avionics, and the price and availability
are worth it.

My field also has a couple of share programs for people who want to buy a
share of plane. Cirrus is big on this, but OurPlane is one who I believe
also markets Cessna 182 shares. I believe those planes are all brand new
planes with G1000 systems.

I have never flown with a Radar Altimiter, nor even seen one. Based on your
messages, I believe your Baron simulation does not accurately reflect the
typical flight experience of a Private Pilot in the US. Perhaps it is
modeled after some other flight experience.