Old November 18th 03, 12:48 AM
Roger Halstead

On 14 Nov 2003 17:36:33 -0800, (Snowbird)
wrote:

wrote in message . ..

I realise that this in only slightly funny, but makes me wonder
what is the funnyist thing you have ever heard on the radio?

My personal funniest malapropism to date was one time when
the Tower asked if I had my landing light turned on. I
replied I had everything turned on, then realized what I'd
said by the gale of backround laughter over the controller's
dry "roger".

Guyzzzz!

The funniest thing I heard was one time when I was getting
some kind of feedback squeal in my radios. I asked
"ground, do you hear an annoying squeal during my transmissions?"
Without missing a beat, the (male) controller shot back
"no ma'am, that individual just went downstairs"

Some years back... 94, 95...some where in there, my wife and I flew
the Deb out to visit my daughter in Boulder Colorado. Our Destination
was to be Jefco (BJC). My apologies to those of you who have read
this story a dozen times already.

To say the weather was "el-stinko" would be an understatement. They
had tower Q over the mountains, but unfortunately they had slid off
into the Boulder, Denver, and parts east areas. We were expecting to
find nice weather with the storms over the mountains.

A half hour after we passed Lyman they had a Tornado.

At first there were these huge towering Q, but as we neared Arapaho it
began to get hazy. (I don't think that VOR is there any more).

At this point I was talking to Denver app. They cleared me to BJC,
but it was difficult to hear as we were just about getting the snot
beat out of us. That was probably the roughest ride I've had (of any
distance). I kept hearing, "Thirty Three Romeo, .... ..... cleared
direct BJC" and I'd readback" Thirty Three Romeo cleared direct BJC".
The controller would come back with , "Negative! That was Thirty Three
Romeo...Cleared.... .... direct BJC".

This exchange was repeated at least 3 or 4 times as I recall with the
controller finally saying "one_more_time_ Thirty Three Romeo
pauseClearedpause directpause Arapahopause directpause BJC",
which I repeated. I'm sure I could hear some cheering in the
background. But those guys knew what all of us out there were having
to contend with. There was some really bad weather and we all wanted
to get on the ground and the controllers were doing their best to get
us there and our destinations at the same time.
It was a case of the weather being far worse and far sooner than
forecast.

About one minute later he came back and gave us "OK, this time
Debonair Eight Thirty Three Romeo, cleared direct BJC", which took us
right over the south end of Stapleton(sp?).

We didn't get caught in any hail, but it took out the copilots wind
screen on a Beech 1900 departing Stapleton (sp?), Splintered roofs in
Boulder, totaled out a couple of new car lots, and thoroughly trashed
what had been a really nice Seneca (which was in the air). I'm not
sure how it flew, but there wasn't much left that looked like an
airfoil.

As we were driving out of the parking lot at the FBO located on the NW
side of Jefco I looked up to see a Cherokee spit out the side of this
big, black, towering Q. He was probably a bit more than being 90
degreeded. Fortunately he did get it straightened out.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Zingggg!

Cheers,
Sydney