View Single Post
Old April 21st 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Time for Separate 18m Records?

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 7:29:09 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Kristian:
I think that you are correct about the world records - but more pilots (who cannot afford to go to Namibia or Argentina) are interested in national records for their country - and in those countries the difference between 18m and 27m is important.

And on your last point, "I would actually like to acknowledge records made with pure glider. Now there is a difference" I agree completely. With a motor available, it is a different sport.

Best regards
ROY

With a motor available it is an entirely different approach to sticking your neck out on a limb. Many times I cross the state and late in the afternoon must combat a headwind and declining conditions. I get back home, close my triangle and sit down and have a cold brew! Have I ever not made it back home, YES. Not to knock the guys and gals with motorgliders, although I do poke a bit of fun at them over the radio. I will call on the radio and ask if any of you guys at Seminole are flying your motorgliders? They usually laugh and say yes, they do have a good sense of humor!