Old October 20th 04, 06:16 PM
Chip Bearden

Greg Arnold wrote in message news:0imdd.50323$hj.44614@fed1read07...
Won't SeeYou underestimate the thermalling speed because it is
calculating speed based on the straightline distance between different
points on a circle?

I was unable to duplicate SeeYou's calculations of thermaling speed. I
tried straight line between two points, fitting a circle through three
points, and calculating circumference based on a rough diameter.

I was trying to reconcile indicated airspeed I recalled from the
flight with SeeYou's numbers. But even after correcting for true
airspeed, I was still off. I finally gave up. Does anyone know how
SeeYou calculates speed in a thermal?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"