Old October 20th 04, 10:32 PM
Mark James Boyd

I fly into it and continue until the trend of the vario reverses to
down, then begin a turn into the lifted wing with between
30-45 degrees of bank. I've tried up to 60 degrees, and have
seen only worse climb from over 45 degrees. This in commonly
4-6 knot thermals.

Less than 30 degrees and I'm not sure I could stay in any of the thermals,
more than 45 and I think the loss of upward lift due to bank angle
exceeds any benefit from a tighter core, at least
in thermals around here.

I also tend to stay in the middle third of the thermal altitude,
so if it tops out at 9000ft agl, I'l stay between 3000-6000 ft agl,
although sometimes a little higher over unlandable or known thermal-free
terrain.

In article ,
Jim Vincent wrote:
Lets have a poll. Tell us how you thermal.

I don't believe in a shallow bank for 180 degrees. The trade off in efficiency
is more than offset by getting out of the sink and into the lift quicker.

Reichman's rules: Increase bank in sink, shallow bank as vario rises, increase
bank in lift. My numbers say min sink is 44 ktws, 30 degree min sink is 49, 45
is 52, and 60 is 63 kts.

If themals are tight and narly, then crank 45-60, decreasing with altitude as
thermals generally widen. Like many here, the screws on the instruments are
the 45 degree indicator (a golden nugget from a CSA instructor). I would
rather increase my airspeed than shallow the bank since the increase in
airspeed effectively increases the turn radius with minimal drag effects and
low time lag.

To me, crankin and bankin to get into the best lift is worth it...plus much
more fun!

Jim Vincent
N483SZ

--