Old August 7th 03, 04:29 AM
BTIZ

thanx for the explanations/updates, I remember reading the discussion
earlier on blue blockers, yellow tints etc... but after so many years in
dark radar rooms and flight decks, I like my dark lenses.

I fly with my $25 military style, good AO issue, non-prescription,
non-polarized, and as often as I break/lose/bend the glasses, $20 is a lot
cheaper than $150 and I can get them at any military clothing sales. I keep
a couple on the shelf ready to go.

BT

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
"BTIZ" wrote:

so why fly with polarized lenses..

Because the sky is polarized and clouds scatter it back
unpolarized, meaning 1) there's better contrast between
clouds and sky with your head turned to cut out the
polarized light from the sky and 2) by changing the angle of
your head, the illumination ratio changes between clouds and
sky, making them "blink" in an inverse sort of way.

I thought I had read somewhere that
polarized lenses were not compatible with flying and some canopies or
cockpit glass. But I'm sure it was many years and many technology changes

in
the past.

Polarizers can show up canopy stresses, but it's usually not
a problem. They can also cause a problem with some LCD
display instruments, but not if the instruments are properly
designed.

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)