Old February 21st 12, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Default New Ventus 2 and Discus Winglets - M&H

I can personally verify that Harold Drew, scrutineering at the '65
UK Worlds measured the Standard Class gliders by opening two
hangar doors to marginally over an accurate 15,000mm and
required each glider to be manoeuvred through with wings level.
He made the same reply ('you can fly through the gap of you
prefer') when offered the same excuse.

The Finnish Vasama was significantly over span; the Team
Manager offered the explanation that the glider was so new the
wooden spars were still growing. Firm action with a plane to the
wingtip fairings made it legal, if a little less pretty.

At 20:28 20 February 2012, Chris Nicholas wrote:
Re canted winglets increasing span: I recall a reported

conversation
between a well-known competition pilot (WKCP) and purveyor

of
modifications etc., and a competition official (CO), re some

new wing
tips.

CO: It exceeds 15m span now.

WKCP: Not when it=92s flying =96 the added dihedral from the

wings flexing
reduces it to 15m.

CO: When you show me by flying between two posts 15m

apart without
hitting them, I will let you compete with those.

End of conversation.

Chris N.