Old July 23rd 03, 05:43 PM
Corky Scott

Default [Fwd: Why I'll never build a kit plane.]

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:10:33 -0500, Jim Willson
wrote:
Even though I'd be quite capable of doing it, I'll never build a kit
airplane. Call me a wimp, but I've assembled too many bicycles on
Christmas morning to think that I could be 100% correct in building an
airplane. And for what?! A thrill. The pride to say, "Look what I
did!"

You are saying in one sentence that you could build an airplane, but
saying in the next sentence that you don't think much of your ability
to put together bicycles. You are aware that the process is supposed
to involve experts who inspect your work and assembly and advise you
on what you need, right?

Yes, there for sure is an immense amount of pride to be able to say:
"I built that". That goes for airplanes, cars, bicycles, houses or
furniture. Anything you build yourself and do a good job gives you
pride and satisfaction. I might add that this goes for raising a
family well too.

I wonder what the kids will say about their daddy. I'm sure he
spent hours at the hanger instead of with them. Perhaps they sat at the
hanger watching him asking him annoying questions so that they could at
least get his attention. I'm sure he made many promises to spend more
time with them when the plane was finished.

You're sure of that are you? You know him personally and know that he
spent time at the airport while his kids were begging him to play with
them?

We spend so many hours of our lives chasing after the temporal things of
this world, (i.e. hobbies, work, a name, a reputation). We never spend
time chasing after the things that will count when we're gone (the
character of our family) or those things eternal.

I grieve for this family. What a waste!

R/
Jim

Please speak for yourself Jim. I have been bulding an airplane for
more than 13 years. The reason it's taken me this long is because I
spent a lot more time with my family than working on the airplane.
They always came first. The kids are gone now but I still find myself
spending a lot more time with my wife than the airplane.

I too grieve for his family.

Corky Scott